How Long Do Water Softeners Last – If you have just moved into a new house, bought a new water softener, or have had yours for years, you might wonder when you’re expected to replace it. Most of us have very hard water, thanks to the attention of calcium and magnesium. These natural resources aren’t dangerous, but they can dry out skin and hair, also cause spots, and soap scum to build up on dishes and plumbing fixtures, make our water taste bad, and ultimately, even clog our water heater.
Installing a water softener removes these annoying problems by filtering the hard water through resin beads before it is circulated throughout the house.
How Long Do Water Softeners Last?
The beads activate an ion exchange that converts the hard water into soft. If you want to know more about water softeners then read this article carefully.
What are Water Softeners?
A water softener is a filtration system that is mainly used to remove hard water produced by the high concentration of calcium and magnesium. When water passes through this, the unwelcome minerals are removed and the water is passed on for plumbing.
Hard water can be a foremost issue for anyone. This is because they collect easily inside boilers and water heaters etc. Thus, decreasing the performance and efficiency of the device. It can damage anything and everything.
It can leave a long-lasting unwanted effect on any surface it passes on. Water softener develops the only answer in those difficult times. It can help to smooth out the water.
How Long Do the Water Softeners Last?
Different types of water softeners last in different ways. Some are cheaper than others but compromise durability and the quality of a water softener should be the primary concern of a customer Based on the type of water softeners, their durability is:
- Salt-Based Water Softener: It is an ion-based water softener and these are the traditional type of water softeners typically used in the early stages of water softening. But these are now expelled in some places of the world due to them being a threat to the environment. The resin used in the ion exchange in the process is revived using salt. This regular maintenance should be done almost every week. This system lasts long for about 15 years and replacement isn’t even that expensive.
- Salt-Free Water Softener: Salt-free water softeners don’t need regular maintenance as ion-exchange softening. They don’t eliminate the hard water instead; they neutralize them from creating hard water build-ups. This type of water softener is luxurious. Many types of these softeners utilize multi-stage filtration processes for eliminating harmful contaminants. The lifetime of this varies according to the size used. In most cases, they last up to 5-10 years.
- Portable Water Softener: These types of water softeners are very suitable as they could be taken anywhere, we go. These are mostly used by travelers who road travel using travel trailers. They don’t need any special kind of salt as regular table salt can be used. These water softeners can last up to 7-10 years because it doesn’t have that much work compared to home-used water softeners.
- Reverse Osmosis Water Softener: These kinds aren’t normally considered water softeners. But they do the job meant for water softeners by getting rid of the hard water and even introducing healthy minerals into the water. But in maximum cases, they only offer water through one faucet. These types of systems last up to 10-15 years. But for the system to last this long, it should be frequently serviced as per the service intervals mentioned during installation.
Why do Water Softeners, Last Long?
Water softeners last that long because it is made in such a way that they should endure long tenures. Different kinds of water softeners have unlike methods of softening water. Most water softeners use salt for softening. The ions found in hard water are altered to sodium ions after softening. By using salt for softening, the water softener can last long because they only need regular maintenance of offering salt for the ion exchange process. But this could be a tiresome process as most water softeners that use salt need refilling salt almost every week.
When we do comparison softeners that use salt and which don’t, the ones which use salt have a higher lifetime. This is because, in types like magnetic water softeners, they return to their former state after 48 hours. When we deliberate Reverse Osmosis water softeners, they are a really good alternative to salt-based water softeners. This is because RO softeners last the same as salt-based water softeners but are more naturally friendly.
How Long Do Water Softeners Last?
Water softeners last that long because they can last long due to the hardware present in them. The key content used is polystyrene-type gel resin. These are extremely porous, have a skeletal structure, and have beads. Water flows through the resin in the softener which contacts the unwanted ions.
After attaining high capacity, the resin initiates a regeneration cycle by which sodium chloride brine solution passes through the resin, and the uninvited hardness-causing ions are flushed out. Henceforth these last that long.
More Related Guides:
- Is Peeing After a Catheter Removal Good or Bad
- Is Working Out After Giving Blood Healthy or Not
- How Long After Fluoride Varnish Can I Eat and Why
Hard water can be an uninvited nuisance in our day-to-day lives. This can be concentrated or altogether removed by using things like water softeners. These water softeners have abundant profits. They can help us have healthier skin, shiny hair, cleaner clothes, and good drinking water.
A water softener is a filtration system that is mainly used to remove hard water produced by the high concentration of calcium and magnesium.
We have shared everything about Water Softeners and How Long Do Water Softeners Last in this article if the information helped you in any way, then do share it with your friends so they can also profit from this article. If you have any questions related to this article then feel free to comment below.